“I wish to express my deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those dedicated WFP staff members who were killed or injured in this terrible attack,” said WFP Executive Director, Josette Sheeran.
“All of the victims were humanitarian heroes working on the frontlines of hunger in a country where WFP food assistance is providing a lifeline to millions. This is a tragedy – not just for WFP – but for the whole humanitarian community and for the hungry.”
Those who died in the attack have been named as:
- Mr. Mohamed Wahab (Pakistani) Finance Assistant
- Mr. Botan Ahmed Ali Al-Hayawi (Iraqi) Information and Communication Technology Officer
- Mr. Abid Rehman (Pakistani) Senior Finance Assistant
- Ms. Gulrukh Tahir (Pakistani) Receptionist
- Ms. Farzana Barkat (Pakistani) Office Assistant
WFP is providing vital food assistance to as many as 10 million people across Pakistan, including emergency relief to as many as 2 million Pakistani civilians who were displaced by conflict in the Swat Valley region earlier this year. WFP also supports school meal programmes and targets food assistance at vulnerable groups of people across the country.