“We need to make sure that the humanitarian community works together with the Government of the Philippines and coordinates efforts so we can reach as many people as quickly as possible,” said WFP Executive Director Ertharin Cousin.
Broadcast quality video: Here is a link from which you can download footage of the UN assessment mission in Tacloban, Philippines on 9 November. It includes aerials:
Photos: Here is a link to download stills photos from the same assessment and shots of 44 metric tons of High Energy Biscuits (HEBs) which have arrived in the Philippines for airlift to the storm-ravaged city of Tacloban. HEBs are precious in the early stages of an emergency as they are nutritious, need no cooking and are easy to transport.
• WFP is organising airlifts from its network of humanitarian emergency hubs, particularly from Dubai, UAE and Subang, Malaysia.
• WFP is providing airlifts to humanitarian groups. From the UN Humanitarian Response Depot (UNHRD) in Dubai, it has dispatched shelter items to Cebu on behalf of Catholic Relief Services and another consignment of shelter equipment will leave Tuesday on behalf of Irish Aid. WFP is also coordinating cargo space for the Italian government.
• Of the initial 201 metric tons of High Energy Biscuits allocated for the first phase of the response, 44 metric tons have arrived in Manila for onward transport to Tacloban.
• The remaining 161 metric tons are expected in the Philippines in the coming days.
• WFP will provide 1,000 metric tons of these biscuits in the early stages of the response because they are light, nutritious, easy to transport and do not require cooking.
Follow us on Twitter @wfp_media @WFP_Philippines, @WFP_Asia
Visit our website at http://www.wfp.org/countries/Philippines
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/WFP.Philippines
Please donate now to provide emergency food assistance to families and children: www.wfp.org/typhoon
# # #
WFP is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Last year, WFP reached more than 97 million people in 80 countries with food assistance.
For more information please contact (email address: email@example.com):
Silke Buhr, Regional Public Information Officer, WFP/Bangkok, Tel. +66-81-701-9208
Charlene Tordesillas, Public Information Officer, WFP/Manila, Tel. +63-917-880-9368
Frances Kennedy, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39 06 6513 3725, Tel. Mob.+34 67600806
Elisabeth Byrs, WFP/Geneva, Tel. +41 22 917 8564, Mob. +41 79 473 4570
Gregory Barrow, WFP/London, Tel. +44 20 72409001, Mob. +44 7968 008474
Bettina Luescher, WFP/New York, Tel. +1 646 5566909, Mob. +1 646 8241112
Steve Taravella, WFP/Washington, Tel. +1 202 6530010 ext. 1149, Mob. +1 202 770 5993