“We have partners on the ground who helped us get food quickly to those who need our assistance,” said WFP Sudan Regional Director Amer Daoudi.
- WFP has delivered food assistance to more than 25,000 displaced people in Warrap State, where thousands of people from the Abyei area have fled. Each has received a full ration that will protect them from hunger for one month. In addition, some 2,800 people were provided with assistance in Western Bahr el Ghazal State.
- WFP has also been able to provide food assistance to around 18,000 people in the Abyei area where operations have been disrupted following the conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army.
- WFP is working with NGO partners, including the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), to locate and assist those who have fled into remote villages. WFP is working closely with another NGO partner, Samaritan’s Purse, which has offered tractors and trucks to help move food around Twic County and into Agok.
- WFP plans to send 2,000 metric tons of cereals, pulses and salt to Wunrok in Twic County, Warrap State where WFP has set up a response base for Abyei. Yesterday a convoy of 23 trucks carrying almost half of this consignment left El Obeid, North Kordofan State, headed for Wunrok.
- WFP has set up temporary warehouses in Turalei, where food stocks will be pre-positioned and can easily be dispatched for distribution to those who have fled to Twic County and beyond.
- As soon as the security situation allows, WFP will conduct a rapid assessment to determine the extent of the damage the fighting has had on WFP assets including its office, vehicles and warehouse as well as on the livelihoods of people in the Abyei area.
- To support its emergency response, WFP has deployed an additional 30 staff to manage food distributions, provide logistical support, and to coordinate with other humanitarian workers on the ground for provision of life saving humanitarian services. It will also send an expert to look into the nutrition situation of those displaced especially the children and the overall food security situation in Twic County where there is a large concentration of displaced people.