High Energy Biscuits were distributed today by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) to communities in Leyte Province, and more than 170,000 people have received rice rations to date, as part of family food packs from WFP handed out by the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
• Aid is beginning to reach more remote locations. Distributions of High Energy Biscuits were made in 20 communities on Friday. The biscuits are used in emergencies because they are nutritious, light to transport and need no cooking.
• About 300 boxes of High Energy Biscuits were flown on Thursday by Philippines military helicopters to two areas that had not yet been reached – the island of Homonhon and the Sulgod area.
• Sixteen trucks carrying 320 metric tons of rice were en route to Tacloban on Friday. The cargo is enough for more than 106,000 ‘family packs’ with 3 kilograms of rice each.
• A barge carrying 2,000 metric tons of food and other relief items from WFP, other UN agencies and the Office of Food for Peace in the U.S. Agency for International Development was to depart from Cebu, late Friday night, heading to Tacloban.
• WFP has contracted a large ‘Roll-on Roll-off’ cargo vessel capable of carrying more than 5,000 metric tons of cargo. The ship is scheduled to arrive in Cebu on Monday.
• WFP’s Executive Director Ertharin Cousin is due to arrive in the Philippines early on Saturday morning, with plans to visit the affected areas on Sunday.
New video from Tacloban can be viewed at this link:
A High-Resolution version of the same video from Tacloban, plus a shot-list, can be downloaded at the following link:
For further information on video from the emergency response in the Philippines, please contacts WFP’s head of video Jonathan Dumont on firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #
WFP is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Last year, WFP reached more than 97 million people in 80 countries with food assistance.
Follow us on Twitter @wfp_media
For more information please contact (email address: email@example.com):
Silke Buhr, WFP/Tacloban, Mob. +63 915 216 4923
Frances Kennedy, WFP/Bangkok, Tel. +66 2 659 8616, Mob. +66 843 879878
Bettina Luescher, WFP/New York, Tel. +1-646 556 6909, Mob. +1-646-8241112
Elisabeth Byrs, WFP/Geneva, Tel. +41 22 917 8564, Mob. +41 79 473 4570
Gregory Barrow, WFP/London, Tel. +44 207 240 9001, Mob. +44 796 800 8474
Jane Howard, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39 06 6513 3854, Mob. +39 347 9450634