Evaluation: measuring results, sharing lessons
The Office of Evaluation (OEV) supports WFP in its efforts to achieve its strategic objectives through evaluation. Evaluations inform all stakeholders about the quality and effectiveness of policies, strategies and operations and the efficiency of their implementation.
- informs debate of strategic issues;
- contributes to actions that replicate success and correct mistakes; and
- serves accountability and learning.
These principles and WFP's means to institutionalize them are explained in the 2008 evaluation policy. WFP's Executive Board provides strategic guidance to the Office of Evaluation through the Annual Consultation on Evaluation.
Over 2010-2015 OEV aims to:
- Ensure an increased use of evaluation evidence in WFP decision-making and actions at all levels through broad dissemination of lessons
- Set up a sustainable system, including an evaluation quality assurance system, that produces credible and useful evaluations that provide adequate accountability learning.
Areas of Work
Strategic Evaluations: take a global perspective and focus on strategic issues for WFP as a whole.
Policy Evaluations: examine how WFP policy have been in achieving their objectives
Country Portfolio Evaluations: help Country Offices understand their portfolio and what difference it makes.
Impact Evaluations: provide an in-depth analysis of the impact that WFP work has on beneficiaries.
Operations Evaluations: tell the story of relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of an operation.
Annual Evaluation Report: synthesises evaluation findings during the year.