The Syrian crisis is now in its fourth year. Having fled their homes to escape the conflict, millions of Syrians are now without jobs, money or reliable access to food. WFP food distributions are going ahead, despite difficulties and in April we dispatched enough for 4 million people. Our greatest challenge right now is getting access to besieged communities inside Syria. WFP is also providing assistance for almost 1.5 million refugees in neighbouring countries.
- In April, WFP provided assistance to around 4 million people in Syria, and reached all 14 Governorates for the first time in six months.
- WFP is concerned about the impact of a looming drought for the food security situation in Syria.
- In March, an inter-agency convoy crossed the Turkish border into northern Syria for the first time since the conflict began, carrying WFP and other UN agency supplies to Qamishli, Al-Hassakeh Governorate.
- Every month, WFP provides people inside Syria with food rations including flour, cooking oil, pulses, sugar and some canned food.
- Working with UNICEF, we are providing special food products to 130,000 vulnerable children under age 2, each month to prevent and treat malnutrition.
- WFP is distributing food packs and vouchers in new refugee camp in Azraq, Jordan.
- Over 2.5 million Syrian refugees are now registered in neighbouring countries.
- In 2014, WFP plans to assist over 2.9 million people in Syria’s neighbouring countries, mostly through food vouchers, which allow families to choose their food. They also help the local economy.
Take a short quiz to learn more about the crisis in Syria and how the World Food Programme is responding to the needs of families fleeing conflict. By taking the quiz, you’ll provide nutritious food to a Syrian family for a day at no cost to you. Take quiz
WADI KHALED, Northern Lebanon - In a building located on a main street in Wadi Khaled town resides Fatmeh, a 26-year-old Syrian mother, and her family. The building’s entrance leads to Fatmeh...
The first of 23 WFP-chartered flights from the Syrian capital of Damascus landed at Qamishli airport, bringing critically needed food rations including rice, lentils, oil, pasta, bulgar, canned food...
Zaatari Camp, Al Mafraq, JORDAN - After spending a night at the borders between Syria and Jordan, Rifai was driven by bus to Zaatari camp, which had just opened its gates to fleeing Syrian refugees...
These staggering figures, released on World Refugee Day by UNHCR in its flagship annual Global Trends Report, are driven mainly by the war in Syria, which at the end of last year had forced 2.5...
Akkar, NORTH LEBANON – A luminous neon above Zaher Khodr's medium-sized shop in El-Bireh town in Akkar proudly invites both Lebanese and Syrian shoppers. Zaher’s store is one out of...
Syria in the Media
- Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua - 5 May 2014
- Al Jazeera - 1 May 2014
- New York Times - 23 April 2014
- BBC News - 24 April 2014
- Mail Online - 4 April 2014