22 July 2013
Democratic Republic of Congo refugees sheltered at Nkamira Transit Centre have been assured of support and protection as they await for their country to regain peace and be repatriated. The assurance was given on Saturday by Ertharin Cousin, the UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP) during her visit at the transit centre located in Rubavu District. She said that WFP in collaboration with the Government of Rwanda and other partners will make sure the refugees in the transit centre do not run short of food and primary healthcare, during their stay there.
28 February 2013
The Ministry of Education, plans to roll out a school feeding programme in all schools as an effective means to channel vital nourishment to children, particularly from poor families. Officials disclosed this yesterday as several partners met to discuss how effectively a home grown school feeding programme can be implemented. The meeting was organised by the government with support of the government of Brazil through the World Food Programme (WFP) centre of excellence against hunger. (..) Daniel Balaban, the director of the WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger in Brazil, said it is important and possible in Rwanda, adding that children will need healthy and nutrient-rich foods.
5 January 2012
The Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Agnes Kalibata, has advised farmers against growing non-priority crops, like sorghum, during the next season, as it would affect the country's food security targets. (..) Farmers insist that they should be allowed to grow sorghum, a non-priority crop, according to government, during the shorter Season B, which starts in January through June.
22 October 2011
The Ministry of Education is in the process of mobilising parents countrywide to participate in the school feeding programme as part of the government’s efforts to expand the programme. (..) Mukanyirigira mentioned that the government had set a timeline of at least 2013 when the World Food Programme (WFP), which has been feeding school children, to cease doing so.
19 October 2011
(..) The celebrations organised by the World Food Programme (WFP) in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture, were held under the theme “Good farm prices as an incentive to increased productivity’ in Rwanda.
9 October 2011
The ministry of Health in collaboration with United Nations Population Fund, WFP, the World Food Program and Engender Health is carrying out a campaign to treat and end obstetric fistula in women in Rwanda.
26 August 2011
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is appealing for donors to urgently intervene before the looming food crisis in the three main refugee camps worsens.
27 July 2011
The World Food Programme (WFP) intends to transport maize to three refugee camps hosting over 50,000 Congolese refugees.
4 February 2011
The World Food Programme Regional Director, Mustapha Darboe, yesterday hailed the transformation of the former eroded, barren hills of Rukozo and Cyungo in Rulindo District into terraced farmland. He said this during his visit to a watershed management project in Rulindo, where WFP constructed radical terraces on 240 hectares.
27 January 2011
President Paul Kagame, yesterday, arrived in Davos, Switzerland to participate in the annual World Economic Forum (WEF) (..). President Kagame is scheduled to participate, with World Bank President, Robert Zoellick, in an event hosted by the World Food Programme (WFP) to discuss partnership between the private and public sectors to promote food and nutrition security, and investment in the sector.
- Rwanda: WFP Boss Tours Nkamira Centre, Reassures Refugees Source: allAfrica
- Rwanda: Govt Plans Meals for Schools Countrywide Source: allAfrica
- Rwanda: Grow Priority Crops First, Kalibata Advises Farmers Source: All Africa
- School feeding project to expand Source: The New Times (Rwanda)
- Premier advocates for commercial agriculture Source: The New Times (Rwanda)
- WFP Burundi Situation Report #6, 26 June 2015
- WFP Burundi Crisis Regional Impact Situation Report #05, 22 June 2015
- WFP Burundi Crisis egional Impact Situation Report #04, 15 June 2015
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- 16 September 2014 Children Around The Globe Are Back At School, So Are WFP School Meals
- 20 August 2014 Giving Refugees In Rwanda The Power Of Choice
- 3 February 2014 Canada And REACH Are Securing The Future Of Children And Women