28 February 2014
Han Ok Yo is the proud mother of a six-month-old baby girl. Mother and baby are doing well – thanks in part to pancakes made with WFP food.
18 December 2013
WFP’s operation in DPR Korea is focused on providing nutritious food to the most vulnerable. All of the food for nutrition support – which includes fortified biscuits and protein-rich blended flour – is produced in-country in factories like this one in Munchon City.
8 December 2013
Despite having limited funding for its operations this year, WFP manages to distribute a three-month ration of oil to orphanages, hospitals and nurseries in DPRKorea.
21 October 2013
A new factory in Pyongson City brings to 14 the total number of facilities producing fortified foods for WFP programmes in DPR Korea.
16 August 2013
A severe funding shortfall for its operation in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea has forced WFP to reduce rations to the mothers and children it assists there. In DPR Korea, more than one in four children are stunted from a lack of vitamins and nutrients in their diet. They may never develop properly as a result.
5 August 2013
WFP is distributing maize to families affected by floods in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
15 July 2013
Arriving in DPRK for the first time from Cambodia, WFP staffer Leang Hay Uk gives a first-hand account of his visit to a kindergarten in Rinsan County, in the northern part of the country.**
14 June 2013
There are three "Keys To Solving Hunger" -- what are they? The "first key" we unveiled was 'Nutrition'; the second, 'Safety Nets'. We're unveiling the last "key" through a short film this month - and we want you to discover it with us! And, to make the discovery more fun, by joining this trivia contest, one lucky winner will get a WFP The North Face Backpack. So get your pencil and paper at the ready and click play!
30 May 2013
In May, WFP’s office in DPR Korea held a workshop on "Lessons Learned and Best Practices" in the local production of Super Cereal and Nutritious Biscuits.
30 May 2013
Between May 22-24, WFP invited representatives from embassies in DPR Korea on a field trip to South Hamgyong Province.
- UN Appeals for $98 Million for North Korea Needs Source: The New York Times
- WFP official thanks Russia for supplying flour to DPR Korea Source: TASS
- Concern as severe weather hits North Korean crops Source: Reuters
- North Korea Famine Not Imminent but Flood Impact Not Yet Clear: U.N. Source: The New York Times / Reuters
- North Korea floods: Death toll raised, WFP sends food aid Source: BBC News
- Quarterly Monitoring And Evaluation Bulletin (Q4 2013): "Nutrition Support Programme For Children And Women In DPRK"
- DPR Korea: Performance Assessment Of WFP's 'Nutrition Support To Women And Children' Programme
- Performance Assessment of WFP's operation in DPR Korea "Nutrition Support to Women and Children (PRRO 200114)
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea - FAO/WFP Crop and Food Security Assessment Mission, November 2013