22 July 2013
A slump in cashew nut prices in Guinea-Bissau has left nearly half of the population eking out food, with families skipping meals or selling livestock to survive until the next harvest in September, aid groups say. (..) “The result is a significant decrease of [people’s] food security which obliges them to revert to coping mechanisms such as skipping meals, reducing food intake, selling animals and so on,” Ussama Osman, the World Food Programme (WFP) country director in Guinea-Bissau, told IRIN.
26 March 2013
- The United Nations said Tuesday that it had been forced to delay desperately-needed food aid to nearly 300,000 people in Guinea Bissau since it so far had received no donations to support the operation. "The assistance was due to start on March 1, 2013, but operations are stalled because, so far, (we have) not received any donor support for the operation," Elisabeth Byrs, spokeswoman for the UN's World Food Programme, told reporters in Geneva. The WFP was urgently seeking $7.1 million to provide food and nutrition aid to 278,000 people across the troubled west African nation this year, "including to young mothers and children at increased risk of malnutrition", she said.
19 April 2012
Through the Gender Innovation Project, WFP Guinea-Bissau is supporting women farming associations in the regions of Bafata and Oio. In exchange for part of their fresh produce, which goes towards WFP school meals in 16 schools, WFP gives farming equipment to the women.
21 October 2009
The International Committee of the Red Cross might seem out of place running agricultural diversification projects in northern Guinea-Bissau, given its mandate to help people in times of conflict and violence. (..) Guinea-Bissau ranks 173rd of 182 countries in the UN human development index. Roughly one-fifth of the northern provinces’ inhabitants are moderately malnourished, according to 2006 government statistics, confirmed by the World Food Programme (WFP).
- Hunger warning for Guinea-Bissau as cashew price dips Source: IRIN News
- Urgent food aid to G.Bissau stalled due to lacking funds: UN Source: Global Post
- Gender Innovation Fund Supports Women Farmers in Guinea-Bissau Source: Alertnet
- Guinea-Bissau: Falling through the assistance cracks? Source: IRIN
- Seasonal Monitor
- West Africa and the Sahel - Food Security and Humanitarian Implications, 2014
- ON WORLD FOOD DAY, UN WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS PROGRESS TOWARDS ZERO HUNGER EVEN AS MULTIPLE EMERGENCIES FLARE
- Guinea Bissau PRRO 200526 Nutrition and livelihoods support to the vulnerable population: A mid-term Operation Evaluation
- 3 April 2013 WFP Nutrition Activities In Guinea-Bissau