11 May 2015
To the relief of her mother and doctors, Zuhal is putting on weight. But just three months ago the 18-month-old girl from eastern Laghman Province in Afghanistan weighed only five kilos, less than half the average for a child of her age.
16 April 2015
Recent snowfall have triggered avalanches causing the death of around 300 people, affecting thousands of families and destroying agricultural lands across 19 provinces in Afghanistan.
9 March 2015
In a country where girls are rarely allowed to attend school, WFP's food serves as a powerful incentive for male family members to send the women - mothers and adolescent girls - of their family to vocational skills and literacy classes.
22 January 2015
Every winter, WFP distributes food to vulnerable families living in the Kabul Informal Settlements (KIS).
18 September 2014
With decades of conflict and a harsh geographical terrain, unemployment is high in Afghanistan. This is tough for families especially during the "lean season," the months before harvest time when food stocks and employment opportunities often dwindle to nothing.
15 September 2014
A biscuit factory shipped from Italy in seven containers and assembled in Afghanistan is now churning out nutrient-rich cookies for victims of humanitarian emergencies. At the same time, it is giving local farmers, millers and businessmen a chance of a brighter economic future.
21 July 2014
WFP has been providing food assistance to vulnerable women, especially widows and female school drop-outs, to encourage them to take part in vocational training courses that will teach them income-generating skills such as embroidery, handicrafts and making bed rolls for children.
20 June 2014
On the Western border of Afghanistan with Iran, many Afghan refugees return home in need of assistance. WFP and its partners works to help them find their feet.
10 June 2014
Heavy floods in northern Afghanistan left scores of people dead and destroyed thousands of homes during the spring and early summer. WFP was on hand with emergency food.
6 May 2014
Within less than 24 hours, WFP was on the scene in Badakhshan to bring food assistance to those who lost everything in a catastrophic landslide.
- Harsh winter takes toll on Afghan war displaced Source: Reuters Alertnet
- UN environmental agency to help Afghanistan combat effects of climate change Source: UN News Centre
- More than Lego: WFP's Factory-in-a-box Source: Devex
- The challenge of getting food to Afghan schoolchildren Source: The Examiner
- What It Means To Be A Mother In Afghanistan Source: Care2.com
- Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Situation Report #04, May 2014
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Afghanistan PRRO 200447 Assistance to Address Food Insecurity and Under-nutrition: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference.
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- 23 January 2015 WFP Ships ‘Biscuit Factory In A Box' From Italy To Afghanistan