10 June 2015
With support from the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO), WFP is able to provide cash transfers to over 2,000 vulnerable and food insecure families in The Gambia, ensuring that they have enough nutritious food.
8 January 2015
Thanks to support from the World Food Programme, Fatou and her 2-year-old daughter, Numa, are a living example of the common saying in The Gambia, “where there is life, there is hope.”
15 December 2014
Besides the opportunity to learn, children look forward to two things at the beginning of a school year in the The Gambia: reuniting with friends and the daily hot meals that WFP provides to more than 100, 000 children, thanks to the European Union.
31 December 2013
11 November 2013
In The Gambia, parents and teachers are building on the World Food Programme’s school meals initiative by growing vegetables to enrich their children’s diets as part of the government-led Home-Grown School Feeding Programme. At Dingirai Lower Basic School, in the Central River region, everyone has pitched in, and the children love the results.
11 March 2013
WFP Ambassador Howard Buffett recently visited The Gambia, where he met with high-level officials and saw WFP school meals in action. During his visit, Buffett made a financial commitment to support a local procurement feasibility study. The aim of the study is to highlight the role of local markets in school feeding programmes, thereby contributing to the establishment of a national school feeding programme owned and managed by The Gambian Government.
8 August 2012
2 August 2012
At Besse in the Foni Berefet District, West Coast Region, WFP and partners launched the first Supplementary Feeding Programme to prevent acute malnutrition in children under the age of five.
25 May 2012
As part of its Sahel food crisis response, WFP has launched an emergency operation in Gambia, aiming to provide assistance to 206,000 people this year.
23 May 2012
WFP has launched an emergency operation to deliver life-saving food assistance to thousands of people fleeing conflict in Mali. As refugees stream into areas already strained by drought in the Sahel, it's imperative to reach them with assistance in time for the summer Hunger Season.
- Sahel food insecurity threatens 10 million people in 2013 Source: Reuters/AlertNet
- Sahel: Malnourished to remain above one million in 2013 Source: IRIN
- At meeting in Rome, UN officials stress link between food security and peace in Sahel Source: UN News Centre
- Building Resilience Key to Restoring Sahel Food Security Source: VOA News
- West Africa: After the drought, floods - and harvest worries Source: IRIN
- The Gambia PRRO 200557 Targeted Nutrition and Livelihood Support for Vulnerable People Impacted by Floods and Drought: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Seasonal Monitor