22 March 2013
NAYPYIDAW – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution which more than doubles Japan’s support for its food assistance operations in Myanmar - from JPY 814 million (US$10 million) last year to JPY 2 billion (US$21 million) this year.
19 June 2012
YANGON – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has expanded distributions of emergency food supplies to thousands of people displaced by inter-communal violence in Myanmar’s Northern Rakhine State. In a remote region, short of basic infrastructure, WFP moved early to reach those affected and will scale up operations further in the coming days.
20 February 2009
5 September 2008
"The World Food Programme has decided to send in two relief flights as planned tomorrow, while discussions continue with the Government of Myanmar on the distribution of the food that was flown in today, and not released to WFP," says Nancy E. Roman, Director of Public Policy and Communications.
1 September 2008
Humanitarian food assistance activities of the United Nations World Food Programme will expand in Myanmar during 2008, building on work undertaken during 2007.
22 August 2008
The last WFP aid flight has taken off from Thailand’s Don Mueang International Airport which has been a vital staging post for the airlift of humanitarian supplies to areas affected by the impact of Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar.
25 July 2008
Twelve weeks after Cyclone Nargis devastated the Ayeyarwady Delta region of Myanmar, hundreds of thousands of families still have a lengthy storm to weather, WFP said.
5 July 2008
The World Food Programme today sent four aircraft loaded with critically needed food aid and other relief items for thousands of people struck by Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar.
3 July 2008
The award-winning Internet word game FreeRice has revealed a surprising staying power as a web phenomenon and six months after its birth has now generated 21 billion grains of rice for the world’s hungry.
20 June 2008
A critical shortage of funds for a helicopter operation providing essential logistical support to nearly 50 aid agencies is threatening the entire relief effort for 2.4 million survivors of Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar.
- Pushed from Burma, Stateless Rohingya Flee by Boat Source: Time Magazine
- Myanmar: An aid worker's diary Source: CNN
- Interview with Vijay Nambiar, Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Myanmar Source: UN News Centre
- Muslims fleeing sectarian violence in Burma drown as crisis deepens Source: The Guardian
- Flooding in Myanmar forces thousands to flee Source: CNN
- 15 October 2014 WFP And The EU: Pushing For Zero Hunger Together
- 11 November 2013 Myanmar: Displaced Families In Rakhine State Need Food Assistance
- 25 October 2013 WFP In Myanmar (For The Media)