10 July 2014
When violence broke out in Samaraa city in Iraq’s Salaheldin governorate, Umm Ibrahim, an Iraqi woman in her eighties, took shelter with nine other family members inside a relative’s garage. Two nights later, they fled to Peramagroon district in the nearby Suleymaniyah governorate, where they now live inside a public school with twelve other displaced families.
3 July 2014
As violence escalates in Mosul and neighbouring cities in northern Iraq, thousands of people are fleeing their homes in search of safety. Esmat Ahmed, an Iraqi man in his late twenties, left his house and belongings in Hay El Baker village in Mosul last month. He braved the scorching heat and closed-off roads to walk to the neighbouring town of Qasrok, located in the Kurdistan region of Iraq where he now shares a small rented apartment with 14 other family members.
25 June 2014
WFP is in emergency mode in northern Iraq as it goes about organizing a food assistance operation for half a million people hit by the latest conflict there. Ertharin Cousin travelled to the region this week to see the impact of this new humanitarian crisis first-hand. She found some displaced families living in extremely harsh conditions and highlighted the need for international support.
30 August 2013
ERBIL, IRAQ – As the exodus continues of Syrians into the Kurdistan region of Iraq, the leaders of the UN refugee agency and the World Food Programme paid tribute to the government here for giving refuge to almost 200,000 people, including some 47,000 arriving in the last two weeks.
4 January 2013
The conflict in Syria has led thousands of Syrians to flee seeking safety in neighbouring Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq and Egypt. Food is one of their priority needs and WFP is responding with an operation to assist refugees in all five countries. WFP is providing assistance mainly through food vouchers redeemable in local shops as well as direct food distributions in some areas where beneficiaries cannot access markets easily.
11 December 2009
School children in Kurdistan, northern Iraq, recently started receiving a daily snack designed by WFP to boost their nutritional intake and to help them concentrate. A nervous Robin Lodge went along to see whether the children liked the new date bars.
26 May 2009
Two Iraqi refugee households in the Syrian capital Damascus recently received an early morning visit from the Arab world’s young film star and WFP celebrity partner Hend Sabry.
12 November 2008
Rome, 12 November 2008 - Irrespective of its potential wealth, Iraq is a country in turmoil, with an estimated 1.5 million people displaced as a direct result of war and violence. A new survey shows that, although there have been recent improvements in the overall security situation, and although safety nets exist, there remain nearly one million people who are food insecure.
15 April 2008
WFP Ambassador Against Hunger Mahmoud Yassin has called on donors to provide urgent funding now to enable WFP to continue its operation to provide food assistance to tens of thousands displaced Iraqis in Syria after early June.
18 June 2007
WFP has thanked the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 720 metric tons of dates donated to support WFP’s beneficiaries in Syria.
- Aid for Syrian Refugees in Northern Iraq Source: Deutsche Welle
- Syrian Refugee Makes a Home Away from Home Source: PBS NewsHour
- Syrian refugees overwhelm Lebanon, region Source: The Washington Post
- Iraq: joint UN report finds that food insecurity decreased significantly over past five years Source: UN News Centre
- IRAQ: Call to adopt modern irrigation techniques Source: IRIN
- WFP SYRIA CRISIS RESPONSE Situation Update 11 - 24 JUNE 2014
- Syria - Syrian Refugees and Food Insecurity in Iraq, Jordan and Turkey: Secondary Literature and Data Desk Review, February 2013
- Protecting Asia’s Most Vulnerable - WFP and Social Safety Nets in Asia
- Building Resilience on a Fragile Continent - WFP and Climate Change in Asia
- 21 July 2014 WFP Assists Displaced Iraqi Families At Baharka Camp
- 16 July 2014 Iraq: Heat and Dust in Khazir Camp
- 25 June 2014 Iraq's Hungry Poor Hit Hard By New Crisis