29 June 2015
In this ever-evolving environment, creativity and innovation are key to changing the world. Committed to eliminating hunger within our lifetimes, the World Food Programme (WFP) continuously strives to innovate and seek out creative ideas to fight hunger and improve worldwide nutrition. Our ideas can range from Breast Feeding Festivals to biofortication projects. Read on and discover the seven unconventional ways that the WFP is making hunger history in Latin America.
27 May 2015
In the Marcovia Municipality, located in the department of Choluteca in southern Honduras, is one of the six orchards that are part of the Agroforestry and Resilience to Climate Change strategy, which is implemented by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) with the Government of Honduras, through the National Institute of Forest Conservation and Development (ICF).
27 May 2015
Lajero Blanco is a community where water supplies have dried up and production due to lack of water is almost nonexistent. As a consequence, the rates of food insecurity in this community are high and many families have decided to migrate from the area.
15 May 2015
Honduras was one of the Central American countries most affected by coffee rust, a plague that destroyed hectors of coffee plantations and caused nationwide economic imbalance. Smallholder farmers and plantation laborers took the greatest hit, as their livelihoods slowly disappeared.
1 May 2015
TEGUCIGALPA. - The Government of Honduras - through the Office of the First Lady, the Ministry of Development and Social Inclusion - and the World Food Programme (WFP) inaugurated the Foro de Alimentación Escolar para una Vida Mejor (School Feeding Forum for a Better Life, in English). Representatives of different sectors were present at the inauguration honoring one of the most successful programmes of the Government of Honduras, School Feeding.
26 November 2014
16 DAYS OF ACTIVISM “NO TO VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN”
In the context of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, WFP staff in Honduras initiated an internal campaign to sensitize all staff and how they can share with family and friends.
11 November 2014
Sugar Is Life Foundation (FUNAZUCAR) and the World Food Programme (WFP) join once again to tackle malnutrition in Honduras serving more than 40,000 people with the donation of 42 metric tons of sugar.
11 September 2014
After the Coffee Rust devastated 50% of cultivated acres in Honduras, the national economy lost more than US$200 million. The coffee industry represents 4.8% of the national Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and for thousands of Honduran families it is their single source of jobs and income. No wonder the Coffee Rust is seriously compromising the food and nutrition security of these families.
4 September 2014
Can you imagine the world without hunger? WFP school meals recipients around the world were asked the same question, then invited to submit their answers in pictures. Take a look at the 16 winning pictures of the world with zero hunger. Which one would you like to live in?
18 August 2014
To help those who are in need has been part of a legacy that his father, a physician, sewed in his heart when he was a child. Mario Sibrian, a Honduran national working in South Sudan for WFP Aviation, has been living up to his father's legacy for the last 14 years. That is his driving force behind his commitment to humanitarian assistance during the tsunami in Asia, the Haiti Earthquake and Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
- Mujeres Unidas en Acción: Building Success for Women in Eastern Honduras Source: Huffington Post
- IICA strengthens partnership with World Food Programme Source: Estrategia y Negocios
- Honduras: A Call for Help to FAO and WFP to confront hunger Source: El Heraldo (Honduras)
- Improved Nutrition, Agricultural Development Helps Bring Hondurans Out of Poverty and Hunger Source: DipNote
- Proactively Planning for Replanting Source: Honduras Weekly
- Global Food Security Update
- Revolutionizing Data Collection - World Food Programme and Nielsen Use Scalable Mobile Surveys in Today's Changing Technological Landscape, June 2015
- Factsheet - Food Security Analysis, 2015
- Central America PRRO 200490 Restoring Food Security and Livelihoods for Vulnerable Groups Affected by Recurrent Shocks in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua: An Operation Evaluation. Terms of Reference
- 8 September 2014 Honduras: WFP-COPECO Distribute Food to Drought-Hit Communities