29 July 2014
CARTAGENA -On July 14th, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the Government of Bolivar launched the Sprinkles for Life project, which consists of implementing a home fortification strategy which uses micronutrients powders to serve 71,000 children from the ages of 2 to 5 in 45 different municipalities in the Department of Bolivar, over 11 months.
16 July 2014
There is often the misconception that hunger and malnutrition refer to the same condition. While the two often go hand-in-hand there are significant differences. With the assistance of The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) we are hoping to break this common misconception. Read on for 11 myth busting facts about malnutrition and examples of how WFP is tackling it in Latin America.
10 June 2014
Ecuador hosts the largest recognized refugee population in the region due to the large numbers of Colombians fleeing violence. WFP works with the governments of Ecuador and Colombia to provide food assistance to these people living along the border. Recently WFP staff working in Colombia met with WFP staff in Ecuador to exchange experiences on how to improve food and nutrition security to help displaced people and refugees rebuild their lives.
9 June 2014
Working in a country like Colombia can be challenging. There is a strong government but in some places internal conflict persists. So, operating in remote areas where illegal armed groups are active is dangerous. But, as a neutral humanitarian organization, WFP is often able to deliver assistance in places where it might be very difficult for the government to operate.
21 February 2014
In the first week of February 2014, WFP launched massive voucher redemption events in 4 municipalities in Colombia. This photo gallery records the events in Monteria (Cordoba), involving recently displaced Embera-Katío indigenous families, and in Puerto Asis (Putumayo), where more than 300 families benefitted from this voucher programme.
5 February 2014
PANAMA CITY –The World Food Programme (WFP) has appointed Miguel Barreto, a Peruvian national, as its new Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. His duty will be to oversee WFP operations across the region.
5 February 2014
Enolfa Jiménez has encountered and faced adversity throughout her life, but has overcome. To consider having been displaced from her community 15 years ago, she has kept her dreams of success and always gives her best. That was how she became founder of “la Asociación de Familias Emprendedoras” (Association of Entrepreneurial families, ASOFEM). Enolfa spoke to us of her experience and of the key role played by the World Food Programme in her community.
30 December 2013
How many hungry people are there in the world and is the number going down? What effect does hunger have on children and what can we do to help them? Here is our list of top 10 hunger facts that everyone ought to know going into 2014.
2 August 2013
The WFP Deputy Regional Director and Officer in Charge, Alzira Ferreira, and the Regional Director of Plan in the Americas, Roland Angerer, signed an agreement to work together to fight food insecurity to help the most vulnerable populations, especially women and children, in Latin America and the Caribbean.
27 June 2013
ROME/VATICAN CITY – His Holiness Pope Francis this morning granted a private audience to Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP). The meeting took place immediately upon Cousin’s return from Syria and following her recent visit to Israel and Palestine.
- WFP Participates in Social Responsability Panel Source: Corresponsables.com
- Colombia: Displaced, Founder, and Entrepreneur Source: World Food Program
- UN Radio Interviews WFP Colombia Deputy Director Source: anaemia
- WFP and the Ministry of Health launched a program to reduce anemia in children from 6 to 24 months Source: El Tiempo
- Food for Training for Displaced Persons Source: Tu Semanario (Colombia)
- WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response in Latin America and the Caribbean
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance -Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- From Food Aid to Food Assistance - Working in Partnership: A Strategic Evaluation
- Ecuador - UNHCR/WFP Joint Mission for the Revison and Re-Evaluation of the Relief And Recovery Operation in Favor of Colombian Refugees in Ecuador, July 2011
- 26 April 2013 WFP Executive Director Visits Panama
- 24 October 2012 WFP Country Directors Hold Regional Meeting in Colombia
- 25 September 2012 WFP Executive Board visit to Colombia