Malawi - Vulnerability Assessment Committee(MVAC) : National Food Security Forecast: April 2013 to March 2014
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, estimates that Malawi will produce 3,639,866 MT of maize during the 2012/2013 growing season A surplus of 194,340 MT will be available during the 2013 to 2014 consumption year.
- The MVAC annual assessment and analysis results indicate the 21 districts namely: Karonga, Mzimba and Rumphi in the Northern Region; Dedza, Dowa, Kasungu, Mchinji, Ntchisi, Nkhotakota and Salima in the Central Region and Balaka, Blantyre, Chikhwawa, Chiradzulu, Phalombe, Machinga, Mangochi, Mwanza, Neno,Nsanje and Zomba in the Southern Region will face food deficits ranging from 2 to 5 months.
- MVAC projects that 1,461, 940 people in the 21 districts will be food insecure across the country requiring about 57,346 MT of maize equivalent.
- Maize prices have been generally high for first quarter of the consumption year; ranging from MK60 to MK150 per kilogramme.
- The food security situation will be monitored on a monthly basis, but a major update is scheduled for October, 2013.