Rwanda delegation visits School Feeding Programmes in Brazil
Government officialls from Rwanda and WFP representatives learnt about mechanisms for home-grown school feeding and how they are implemented by local managers.
The WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger hosted the visit of a multi-sectoral Rwanda delegation from April 17th to April 26th. The main goal was to learn about the Brazilian experience with school feeding and enhance skills to design and implement a sustainable school feeding programme integrating different sectors/ministries and based on local production. The mission was composed by the following government officials and WFP staff members:
- Dr. Erasme, Director General of Education, Ministry of Education
- Mr. Norbert Sendege Director General of Crop Production, Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI);
- Ms. Jolie Germaine MUGENI, Vice-Mayor in charge of Social Affairs in Ruhango District (Southern Province);
- Mr. Christian Twahirwa , Planning and Budget Officer, Ministry of Trade and Industry (MINICOM),
- Abdoulaye BALDE, WFP Representative and Country Director
- Mr. Ryan Anderson, WFP International programme officer in charge of School feeding
- Mr. Denis Mupenzi, WFP P4P national Procurement officer
The delegation was received by related Brazilian government institutions with the aim to provide better understanding of the institutional, legal, policy, and financial frameworks and mechanisms for home-grown school feeding. The group also visited schools, market centres, family farmers´ properties and food cooperatives to gain inside knowledge of programme implementation. An action plan to develop the Rwandan government school feeding programme and related initiatives was drafted by the delegation as a result of this learning experience. It will serve as an important tool for discussing further collaboration between the government of Rwanda, the government of Brazil, the World Food Programme and its Centre of Excellence against Hunger.